Yesterday was baby food making day. Baby E is turning 6 months on Saturday so we will be adding a few new fruits, veggies and chicken to his meals. For now I made him some green beans and sweet potatoes. I decided to use some of the sweet potatoes to make sweet potato grits for breakfast. Let me tell you… You better make these this weekend because OMG they were great. Simple, healthy and guess what else? Toddler approved. Keep in mind I did not add any sugar or cheese to these grits. They were simple good on their own.
So about grits. I can remember the very first day I tried grits. It was my 25 birthday and I was out to breakfast with a friend. He was shocked to discover I never tried grits. For 25 years, I just couldn’t bring myself to try the stuff but once I did, I never looked back. I make them with all sorts of ingredients including milk, buttermilk, cheese, spices. Stove top, oven baked and heck on a busy day, I may or may not try to make them in the microwave. Anyone ever done this?
I used milk in my recipe but these grits can easily be prepared vegan style with the use of water or dairy free milk. Grits and sweet potatoes are also gluten free, so prep them the way you need so everyone in your household can enjoy. I sent the modified recipe to my best friend immediately because she loves grits and would enjoy this dish knowing it won’t trigger the effects of her celiac disease.
Today’s sweet potato grits were made as a stand alone but then the Hubs asked for some ham on the side. Oh thank you sir! I ended up cutting up the ham, throwing in some green onions and a few hits of hot sauce. I served up one big bowl for us to share family style and prepared him some eggs and toast too. How do men consume so much food? I will never know and I am afraid of how much Baby E will consume as he grows. He is already serious about his food. LOL
- 2 cups Milk
- 2 cups Water
- 1 cup Grits
- 1 large cooked sweet potato
- 1 green onion
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Tabasco Sauce (optional)
- Prepare your sweet potato using your preferred method. I bake in order to maintain all nutrients.
- Once potato is done, remove skin and smash. Set aside.
- Prepare grits according to package instructions. For this recipe, their is 1 additional cup of liquid to accommodate for the sweet potatoes being added.
- Once grits are simmering on low heat, slowly add your mashed sweet potatoes and stir vigorously. Continue until the entire sweet potato has been added.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and garnish with green onions.
- Add in your preferred meat or serve on the side with an egg.
The Fab Five Crew prepared sweet potatoes in 5 different ways for you to enjoy, check out the other recipes here. There is something for everyone.
LaShawn |Grown Up Baked Sweet Potatoes|
Bernetta |Baked Garlic & Parmesan Sweet Potato Fries|
Mimi |Herb Roasted Sweet Potatoes|