Recipes

Roasted Beet and Citrus Salad

Roasted Beet and Citrus Salad

Have I shared that I am working hard at eating better so I can shed these pre-baby pounds? Yes pre-baby because I’ve already lost all my pregnancy weight but I was 15-200 lbs overweight when I found out I was pregnant. Imagine the horror! LOL. But now I am doing my best, 90% of the time to get this weight off. The other 10% is up in the air because motherhood is tough and sometimes a girl just needs a pint of Talenti or a whole pie! Anyway, here is one of my favorite I’m keeping summer alive fall recipes. Roasted Beet and Citrus Salad. So easy to make, seriously delicious and healthy. 

Roasted Beet and Citrus Salad

Before we get into the recipe, I need to rant about beets for just a second. If I hear one more person say they don’t like beets, I’m going to faint. Especially if said person has never tried beets. Seriously, You don’t like something you’ve never had? Stop it already. Beets can be prepared in so many ways, take on a nice flavor depending on what you season them with and they are GREAT for you! They are high in vitamin C, fiber, and potassium. And for expecting moms, they contain folate which helps to reduce the risk of birth defects. Now I’m not a doctor at all but ask your doctor, dietician or even Dr. Google. And don’t forget they are YUM! Takes bow, steps down from soapbox and shares the recipe. 

Roasted Beet and Citrus Salad

Roasted Beet and Citrus Salad
Write a review
Print
Ingredients
  1. 2 large beets
  2. 2 large navel oranges
  3. 1/2 Yellow bell pepper
  4. Salt, pepper and smoked chili powder to taste.
  5. Thin sliced fresh basil leaves.
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 400.
  2. Remove stems and greens from beets and reserve for later use. Peel your beets with a vegetable peeler or roast them with the skin on.
  3. Wrap in foil paper and bake for 45-60 until tender then let cool.
  4. While beets are roasting, peel the oranges. Reserve the skin.
  5. Slice the oranges in thin slices.
  6. Chop bell pepper and set aside.
  7. When beets are done, let cool to the touch. Remove skin if necessary.
  8. Slice beets into 1 1/2 thick slices.
  9. Layer beets and oranges on a plate.
  10. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and smoked chili powder.
  11. Garnish with basil.
Notes
  1. Optional: Drizzle with oil and balsamic vinegar.
What MJ Loves™ - Official Blog https://www.whatmjloves.com/
Roasted Beets & Citrus Salad

Stay tuned for a recipe for those left over beet greens you saved. You did save them right? I’ll also share with you an orange & ginger tea recipe to make with the rinds from the oranges you used in this salad. Share your favorite fall salad recipes with me. Let’s stay healthy together. 

Roasted Beet and Citrus Salad

 

 

You Might Also Like

2 Comments

  • Reply
    Vashti (veepeejay.com)
    October 28, 2015 at 12:10 AM

    LOL…I used to hate beets because it tasted like dirt to me, but my Grandma was persistent and I grew to like it. Just this weekend someone told me they didn’t like beet and I looked at them in horror lol.
    This is a super easy recipe. I’m going to give it a whirl.
    Vashti (veepeejay.com) recently posted…10 Takeaways from the Steve Harvey SOAR RetreatMy Profile

    • Reply
      M J
      October 29, 2015 at 9:12 AM

      LOL Vee. Taste like dirt! I’m cracking up because kids and dirt are friends. Ha. But yes I am a big beet lover. I’ve always loved them and I cringe when people say they don’t like them. Now Kale, I eat but I find it to be overrated. Beets however are the bomb.

    Leave a Reply

    CommentLuv badge

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.