I say YES to ME!
That’s right. My one word is ME and I’m happy I finally have the courage to pick ME.
Not that picking ME needs an explanation but here’s the thing, no matter what word I pick, no matter what goals or dreams or plans I have, no matter who or what needs to be cared for… It all starts with ME!
I’ve never been a selfish person. I give, give, give and give some more and the rare times I start with me, the guilt that follows is crushing and I’m over it. You would be too. So this year in doing things a little different. I’m going to be selfish in a good way by picking me first.
Some words I’ve been pondering on as my focus for 2016 include:
YES, because Shonda made it more than ok to say “Yes”
PUSH, because I absolutely pray and I pray for somethings to happen happen. But prayer without work is useless.
LIVE, because although I’m breathing, am I truly living?
BELIEVE, because there is no hope without it.
And a few more. But in each of these things I am the beginning, middle and the end of any Yes, and Push, Living or Believing. So for 2016 ME is it.
Too often I wonder where my kids would be without me. I know they need me but what I know for sure is they need the best of ME. I’ll have to ask the Hubs if he needs me. I like to think he does but I’ll ask because I’m not good with assumptions. My mom is getting older so as much I need her, she needs me and I need to be the person she needs.
- Starting my days thanking God for loving me and learning to love my self just the same.
- Taking care of me. No more putting myself at the end of the list or not on it all. This means breath, sleep, commit, be consistent and so much more. Can’t have it if you don’t work for it. Get it MJ? Yes I do.
- Doing a few things I love each week. Hello more cooking on a higher level. Let me bake up a thing or two. Slow down and take the time to make things awesome, neat, pretty and damn good.
- Run. I love running and I’ll finally see what all the barre rage is about. And one way or another, I’ll get back to spin class because that hurt is so good on a Sista.
Run so I can…
- Enjoy a treat or two.
Run so I can…
- Fit in and wearing my clothes. I have a great collection of timeless pieces plus some haute items too. They must fit.
- Look I will still veg out in pj’s all day but this is ridiculous and definitely not how I get work done. And absolutely not sexy! And yes MJ underneath this facade you are still sexy. While I’m at it. Cooking & baking all the yum doesn’t have to equal stick to my thighs yum. I’ll still enjoy the things I love but I’m moderating ME!
- Wearing a little makeup. Just a tad with a fab lippy. Oh and I’ll be dusting off my collection of brooches because brooches are love!
- Asking for, accepting and appreciating help.
- Celebrating my ME wins along the way. And definitely dusting myself off when I have to hit the restart button.
So choosing ME is the only option and I did it.
Cheers to ME & 2016.
What’s your one word for 2016?
DreaJanuary 5, 2016 at 3:13 PM
I love this! Putting yourself at the top of your priority list is a must. I am definitely taking notes.
And I’m so with you on rocking that fab lippie. That’s a must, too 🙂
I wish you a beautifully blessed 2016, love!
M JJanuary 8, 2016 at 7:50 AM
Thank you Drea. Let’s do it for US. Everyone one wins when we win. Happy 2016.
Vashti (veepeejay.com)January 5, 2016 at 3:17 PM
Love it boo! Yes, it all starts with you because you can’t be at your best, or take care of your family if YOu are not ok.
M JJanuary 8, 2016 at 7:50 AM
Thank you Vee. And that is exactly it… I need to be OK so that everyone will be OK.
AdannaJanuary 6, 2016 at 9:54 AM
I love this MJ! I think this is a great word for a mother because it’s usually “them”. Wishing you the very BEST in 2016 my friend and oh-la-la that photo is FAB!
M JJanuary 8, 2016 at 7:49 AM
Thank you Adanna. And yes THEM has definitely been the winning word these last 3-4 years. Now it’s time for ME. Thanks on the pic… that was before babies and husband. Go figure.
mimiJanuary 12, 2016 at 11:17 AM
I am behind you 100% on this! As moms and wives it is so cliche but true that we put everyone ahead of us. I am determined to practice some sort of self care each month even if it just getting my nails done. I salute you friend and send you well wishes on getting back to taking care of you.
M JJanuary 13, 2016 at 3:41 PM
Awwww thank you Mimi. Girl we need to love on ourselves for 2016. A better you means everyone will be better. Get those nails done lady and whatever else you need to do for you!