I am a big fan of chocolate mousse. For one I love chocolate. Usually milk chocolate but dark chocolate has grown on me particularly mint dark chocolate. A mousse just melts right in your mouth. What I don’t love about chocolate mousse is the preparation process. Not the whole process, just the main part. The custard. Why? Because I have a love/hate relationship with eggs and we are currently on the outs. So today I bring you custard free Mint Dark Chocolate Mousse.
Want to know the trick? Add the milk in parts to the melted chocolate, stirring and then lightly whisking in air. That’s it. If it looks like mousse and tastes likes mousse then IT’S MOUSSE! And guess what? This one uses coconut milk. Lovely is the best way to describe it. Got 10 minutes? Prep this amazing mousse and then come back later to enjoy it.
- 2 bars 72% cocoa natural dark chocolate with mint (6 oz)
- 1 cup coconut milk divided (not canned)
- Break up dark chocolate bars into small pieces and melt in a double boiler or chocolate pot heat. Stir to until smooth.
- Once chocolate is completed melted place double insert in ice bath. Stir in coconut milk ¼ cup at a time until smooth. Use ¾ cup milk in total.
- Pour chocolate into bowl of a mixer. If there is chocolate left in bowl reheat until smooth and then pour into mixer. Whisk on low for 3-4 minutes until just thickened. Add additional milk by the teaspoon if necessary.
- Pour into serving bowls, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Garnish with blueberries, mint leaves, and chocolate or nut shavings.