Some of my fondest memories from childhood are about family meals. No matter which meal, it was always fun and delicious especially once I got over my picky eating ways. Now that I have a family of my own, I enjoy spending quality time around the table enjoying breakfast, lunch, dinner and conversation. Of course I have my own picky eater now but one thing I can always get her to eat is her porridge. Growing up in a Caribbean household, porridge is a staple for breakfast and sometimes we enjoy it for dinner too. My mom would always add something traditionally reserved for dinner to our evening porridge. Today I am sharing one of my favorite Savory Oatmeal recipes made with Quaker® Oats.
This Maple, Shrimp and Bacon Savory Oatmeal recipe is inspired by my mom and our days at the dining table. I of course needed to add a little something more to make it my own so I added shrimp. She used maple in hers so of course I used it in mine too. Marvelous! It doesn’t get much better than this but if you want a little something more, top it off with an egg. The recipe is delicious on its own though.
Take a walk with me on the journey to this savory oatmeal dish.
Set up your ingredient station. You know I’m all about that mise en place life. It is a must for an organized kitchen experience.
Then get to it!
Prepare your oatmeal.
The key to smooth oatmeal is two things: More liquid and blending. I use my trusty immersion blender once the oatmeal is cooked but you can also blend the oatmeal at the beginning of your process before adding to the hot water or in my case milk.
While your oatmeal is simmering, make the bacon and shrimp. Ok I have another tip here… I totally make my bacon in the microwave. I have a trusty bacon pan for that which leads to crispy and oil free bacon. Yes please!
For the shrimp, add a little paprika. The flavor it everything.
Ok now that all of that is done (don’t forget to chop your green onions) combine everything in bowls and enjoy.
Maple, Bacon & Shrimp Savory Oatmeal
- 2 cups Quick One Minute Quaker® Oats
- 4 cups Water
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 pound shrimp
- 6 slices of bacon
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- 2 tsp of maple syrup divided
- 1/2 tsp smoked spanish paprika
- 1/8 tsp salt free seasoning blend
- 3 green onions chopped
- pinch of salt
- pinch of black pepper
- Combine water, milk and pinch of salt in a medium pot and bring to boil.
- Pour in oatmeal and stir to completely combine. Cook for 5-7 minutes on low heat stirring frequently.
- While oatmeal is simmering, cook bacon until crisp, drain and roughly chop.
- In a separate pot, heat 1 tbsp oil and cook shrimp for 5-7 minutes, turning once.
- Assembly bowl starting with 1/2 oatmeal. Add bacon, cheese and shrimp in layers.
- Pour 1-2 tsp of maple syrup on top and top with green onions.
What will you add to your “Best Bowl”?