The last time we went out for breakfast as a family, we took a trip to J. Christopher. It’s one of The Hubs favorite breakfast spots. I decided to try the lemon ricotta pancakes on the special menu. I’ve never had lemon ricotta pancakes so this was a bold move for me. I figured why not? I love pancakes, like lemons and I enjoy ricotta cheese in lasagna. How bad could it be in a pancake? Well it was simply wonderful. I thought about the those pancakes for days and days until finally I decided to make a twist on the recipe. The end was result was Lemon Ricotta French Toast. OMG, it was so good, I almost ate the entire batch on my own. Little Z loved them and since she has been a picky eater lately, this french toast can be considered a toddler hit. The Hubs gave them a thumbs up too. Looks like Mama is winning with this dish.
Here is the recipe. As you can see, I served them with mixed berries and maple syrup. Oh the yumminess. I’ll probably add a dollop of whipped cream the next time I make these. I’m planning to make them for a brunch with friends I’ve been planning in my head forever.
Who wants to do brunch?
- 1/3 C - Ricotta Cheese
- 1/3 C - Milk (I used 2%)
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Tbsp - Flour
- 1 Tsp - Sugar
- 3/4 Tsp - Vanilla Extract
- 1/8 Tsp - Cinnamon
- 1/8 Tsp - Nutmeg
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 6 Slices of Bread
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt
- In a medium bowl, whisk together ricotta cheese, eggs, lemon juice, and lemon zest.Gently fold this mixture into the dry ingredients until well combined.
- Place bread slices in a shallow baking pan. Pour batter over bread. Turn once to ensure well covered. Only dress as many slices of bread you will be cooking at one time (2.)
- Heat a griddle or a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray or a small amount of butter. Cook the french toast until browned on the underside and about 1-2 minutes. Flip and cook the French toast on the other side, about one to two minutes longer. Repeat the process.
- Serve warm with fresh berries and maple syrup.