Last week I had to bring in my first ever dish as a parent to Zoe’s school. Z, her class, and school mates were having their Thanksgiving Feast & Celebration. Moving to this new school has led to quite a few new adventures for me. This mama recreated a Pinterest find when it was our turn to bring in snacks. This mama also carved her first pumpkin. And now this mama made this easy yellow rice for the Thanksgiving celebration at school.
So let’s talk about this whole easy cooking thing. I use to be such a recipe and food snob making everything from scratch and spending hours enjoying it. I still love making things from scratch but I really don’t have the hours to spend in the kitchen. Well, I have the hours but they are filled with kids and activities and trying to squeeze in a little rest and blogging.
I’ve decided to get back to spending more time in the kitchen. Zoe is eager to learn and it’s only right I teach her just like my mom taught me. I loved hanging around the kitchen with my mom and dreamed of being a chef so yep Zoe and I are about to spend more time together and falling in love with new recipes, herbs, and processes. But for now, I’m sharing this easy yellow rice with vegetables and olives recipe.
Easy Yellow Rice with Vegetables & Olives
- 2 bags Vigo Yellow Rice
- 1 head of broccoli
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1/4 green bell pepper
- 1/4 red bell pepper
- Pimento stuffed olives (3/4 of a 8 oz jar)
- Cook yellow rice according to package directions.
- While rice is cooking, cut 1/2 onion into small to medium dice.
- Cut 1/4 green and 1/4 red bell peppers into small to medium dice.
- Cut head of broccoli into bite sized pieces keeping some a small portion of the stalk.
- Head 2 tbsp of olive oil in a wide pan.
- Sautee onions and peppers until fragrant and onions are opaque.
- Add broccoli plus 2 tbsp of water, cover and steam. Broccoli should be cooked but firm.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Cut each olive into 2 or 3 slices then set aside.
- Once rice is cooked, spoon half of it into the wide pot where the vegetable mixture was.
- Add half of the vegetable mixture and half of the olives then stir to combine.
- Continue to add the rice, vegetables and olives until everything is combined.