The hubs and the toddler are in cahoots. Ever few days I get a text like this:
A few days ago I shared this recipe with a good friend. Now I am sharing it with you all. Cornmeal porridge is a staple in almost every Caribbean home. It is hardy and filling. I make the recipe and then take Zee’s out before sweetening it. I use a little raw sugar to sweeten her portion. The milk I use is 2% because that is what Zee drinks. Feel free to use whatever milk your family enjoys. You can also replace the sweetened condensed milk with a sweetener of your choice. I have never tried anything other than raw sugar as an alternative so let me know what you use and how it turns out.
Recipe Type: Breakfast
- 1 C Fine Cornmeal
- 1 C Milk
- 4 C Water
- 1 Cinnamon Stick (4-5 inches)
- Ground Cinnamon
- Ground Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 3/4 Can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Dash of table salt
- Fill pot with 4 cups of water, cinnamon stick, dash of salt. Bring to boil.
- While water is boiling combine 1 cup cornmeal with 1 cup milk in separate bowl. Stir
- Add cornmeal mixture to boiling water stirring rapidly.
- Let cornmeal boil on high heat for 3 minutes. Turn heat down and stir for 5 minutes.
- Add condensed milk, vanilla, nutmeg and ground cinnamon to taste.
- Let cook for another 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
If you do not have cinnamon sticks just boil water with salt. [br]If porridge is to thick you can add additional water or milk (start with a 1/2 c) while simmering on low heat. Add this after you have added all the other ingredients.
CarlineFebruary 23, 2014 at 5:34 AM
This came out perfect. To think I was doing it wrong all along. I added some brown sugar. Will add agave nectar next time. Thanks for the recipe:)
M JFebruary 24, 2014 at 3:13 PM
Before you know it you will be a porridge connoisseur! Glad you liked it.