Thanks to Del Real Foods for providing samples for this recipe.
As always all opinions and delicious recipes are my own.
Last week we had an impromptu family get together. I cooked a Thanksgiving style spread including these Carnitas & Avocado Salsa Stuffed Plantain Cups. Throw in dessert, laughs and kids playing all around and what you have is a wonderful family gathering. You can’t beat that. I wanted to thank my mom and my mother in law for always being there for us, for sending over dinners, watching the kids and just for being all around awesome. I set out to make dinner for the week and then decided to give everyone a call to come over for dinner. All in all, we had a house of almost 20 people and it felt good to enjoy dinner and laughter together just because.
So about these Stuffed Plantain Cups. They were so easy to make and I even used a trick a found on Pinterest that made the process even easier. The trick is to use a lemon juicer to form your cups. Totally genius. I’m usually molding the cups by hand and hoping that they won’t fall apart. So the next time you need to form a food cup, try it.
As far as the ingredients, you just can’t beat Del Real Foods Carnitas. I’ve made a Spanish style pernil in the past but it is a long process and the flavor is not the same. The Del Real carnitas are perfect when it comes to authentic flavor plus they only require a few minutes of heating. Game changer!
Dice up a few fresh ingredients and go for canned sweet corn and pineapples, and you have a quick and easy appetizer the entire family will enjoy. I tossed in some Del Real salsa ropa for a subtle spicy kick which balanced out the sweetness of the corn and pineapples. And the avocado makes this appetizer an easy light main course because of the heartiness.
Everyone loved it and wanted seconds. This recipe makes 6 servings as far as stuffed plantain cups go but there are enough carnitas and salsa left over to make 6-10 more servings.
Carnitas & Avocado Salsa Stuffed Plantain Cups
- 2 green plantains
- 1/2 pack Del Real Carnitas
- 1 hass avocado, diced
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- 1/4 medium onion, diced
- 1/4 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 can sweet corn
- 1/2 can sliced pineapple. diced
- 2 tbsp Del Real Foods salsa roja
- 1 tbsp basil
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp pineapple juice
- salt to taste
- Peel and cut green plantains into 3 pieces each then soak in water for 5 minutes.
- While plantains are soaking, combine corn, onion, green pepper, tomato, pineapple and mix well.
- Add avocado, lime juice, pineapple juice and salsa roja to corn mixture. Gently stir to combine.
- Heat oil in deep frying pan. Remove plantains from water and pat dry.
- Once heated add plantains and cook for 5-7 minutes or until fully cooked, turning once.
- Remove plantains from oil and place on paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Use a lemon juicer to mash each piece a plantain into the shape of a cup. You can choose to return cups to oil and fry for 2-3 minutes or leave as is.
- Heat carnitas according to package directions. Once heated, place half of the carnitas in a separate bowl. Shred thoroughly then add half the avocado salsa mixture. Stir to combine.
- Spoon carnitas and avocado salsa into plantain cups until full.
- Garnish with Spanish paprika.
- Optional: Squeeze juice of a lime wedge over each plantain up.
What are your favorite appetizers to make for family gatherings or parties?
MimiMay 3, 2016 at 1:28 AM
Plantain cups?!! I looooove plantains so o can’t wait to try this and other filling that go with the sweetness of plantains. These look so good.
M JMay 4, 2016 at 3:09 PM
I know you love plantains! These are green ones (tostones) so not sweet but still yummy. You could use sweet ones but they will still have to be on the firm side and must likely double fried.
LaShawnMay 3, 2016 at 8:49 AM
Girl you should see me over here scrambling for a piece of paper to write this down!! I will be making this SOON!
M JMay 4, 2016 at 3:08 PM
LOL. These were so yummy. They are going in a contest next week. Wish me luck.
20 Appetizers For The Daytona 500 - Mooshu JenneFebruary 10, 2017 at 1:01 PM
[…] Fab Haute Mama – Carnitas Avocado Salsa Stuffed Plantains […]