This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser.
All opinions are mine alone. #MyLittleRemedies #CollectiveBias
What’s a mom (and dad) to do when colic strikes? I like to say we become super human and colic builds character. But let’s face it, sometimes all you want to do is run and hide during the bewitching hour or book a one-way plane ticket to paradise sans baby. And then I float back to reality, embrace the colic and then I head to Target for some much needed retail therapy (and to pick up the new Little Remedies® Colic Relief Drops) because you can run but you can’t hide from this stage of motherhood. And for every feeling I have of needing a break, I can only imagine what Baby E is feeling when colic hits.
Since this is my second time around, I use some old colic relief tips and some new ones too. You often find tips on soothing a colicky baby. I’ll share what works for us but what about colic relief tips for parents? Surely moms (and dads) need soothing too. So I have some tips to get you through. And then the most surprising tip of all is the one you just have to try.
Tips For Baby
- Babies love the soothing sound of mom’s heartbeat and her warmth. Dad can step in here too.
Colic Relief Drops
- Little Remedies® has been our go to safe brand for baby ailments since we had Little Z in 2012. When their new Advanced Colic Relief Drops came out, I had to have them for Baby E. In my humble opinion, they are a little miracle in a bottle plus they contain no artificial flavors, colors, dyes or alcohol.
- Another great way to help with gas or other tummy aches.
- A gentle baby massage can help work out gas which is said to be related to colic. Little Remedies® Gas Relief Drops are great for this too. Combine them with a massage to see if it works. I like to give Baby E a warm bath, the gas drops and then a massage.
- Sometimes Baby E just needs a minute to himself. I am perfectly fine with that and it seems to help him work through colic at times. He loves his baby reggae lullaby cd so I turn it on or just leave him to enjoy the silence in between cries. I never let him cry for long without comforting him but it’s amazing to see him settle himself. He doesn’t swaddle anymore but when he did that seems to help him too. A self hug is a great hug.
Tips For Mom (and Dad)
Take a walk
- Step away for even five minutes. It really works.
Meditation & Deep Breathing
- I do this daily regardless of colic but when colic strikes I deep breathing routine works great to calm my nerves.
- I do five minute routines when time is short (and it almost always is) so try to do this first thing in the morning to set the tone for the day.
Ask for help
- Supermoms need help too. Say so. Even your spouse may not read your mind during times of colic so ask! And ask family members too.
Journal & Know that your are doing your best
- Write it out and you will see that you are doing a great job and your baby loves you for it. Give yourself a pat on the back and enjoy a treat too. I swear by my journal and a piece of chocolate to get me through #mommyproblems. Thank me later.
The Surprising Tip That Works
No I’m not telling you to have another baby. I’m not crazy. LOL. But to my surprise, when colic hits attention from big sister Little Z makes an amazing difference. I totally get how babies are connected to one another (think twins) but to see Baby E respond so well to his sister making funny faces or tickling him is amazing. It may seem like keeping the toddler at bay during these moments is best because you know almost anything can set a toddler off but give it a try. Let your toddler take the reigns and watch magic unfold. Don’t have a toddler? Grab a cousin, friend or neighbor.
Remember I mentioned buying my trip to Target? Of course you do. It’s TARGET! I have some inside scoop for you. You can get 20% off the Little Remedies® Advanced Colic Relief Drops via the Cartwheel until October 17. Grab the drops in the baby aisle and then Cartwheel your way to savings. But wait, there’s more. Score a $5 Target gift card when you buy two products. Yup, you can round out your #MyLittleRemedies Baby Box with the gripe water and gas drops. Grab them in the digestive aisle. WINNING!
Tweet @LittleRemedies or post on Facebook using the hashtag #LittleRescues. Little Remedies® will respond with tips from pediatricians and will share special offers and premium product samples. A few lucky moms will receive an in home visit from a real life rescue team with relief products just for you.
How do you deal with colic? Share your secret tips with me and let me know if any of my tips work for you. From one mama in the trenches to another, keep rocking on!