This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser.
All opinions are mine alone. #BeHealthyForEveryPartofLife #CollectiveBias
The Hubs and I are 6 months in to being parents of a toddler and an infant not to mention we co-parent our 9 year old daughter with her mom. So as you can imagine date night doesn’t happen often. Ok seriously, we have only been on one date since Baby E was born. One date in 6 months is just not going to cut it so I decided to plan a few cheap dates for us and put together a full proof plan for making them happen. Well not totally full proof because with babies, you just never know.
So how exactly does two busy and tired parents make it out of the house for date night? Well before I share my tips with you, let me tell you a secret: Sometimes we don’t. Sometimes we use our kid free time to just sleep. Like seriously SLEEP! Uninterrupted sleep with small children is the equivalent of a silent date. So if all else fails, just sleep. But other wise here are my tips for getting out of the house.
- Confirm your baby sitter and a back up. Yes confirm a back-up and let them know if their services are not needed at least 2-3 hours ahead of time. Figure out the timing with your sitters.
- Have your entire date planned including departure time.
- Lay out outfits ahead of time.
- Leave an emergency contact list.
- Prep all necessities for kids. Most likely they will be sleeping but keep essentials in one place just in case.
- Keep your date night essential on hand
- If I had $1 for every doctor that told me my headaches & migraines would go away once I had children, I would be rich. This is just not the case so I make sure to keep Advil Liqui-Gels in my purse. Advanced liquid fast relief means we can continue our date if a headache strikes. Remember to use as directed.
- Emergen-C is a must. I am just recovering from a cold then the flu and an upper respitory infection. The hubs had yet another cold so guess what? We take Emergen-C daily. Date night won’t happen if we are both sick. More Healthy Days, More Healthy Nights
- Flat shoes because sometimes heels won’t make it through the night
- Makeup & ChapStick. ChapStick Total Hydration instantly smoothes and moisturizes which means it’s great for applying before you put your lipstick on.
When I’m running low on my purse essentials, I restock at my local Walmart. I am sure to find everything I need to #BeHealthyForEveryPartOfLife while picking up household & baby items.
And because kids are expensive (hello diapers for two!) we keep date night simple and on the cheap.
5 Date Night Ideas Under $50
The hubs and I love pizza. Actually the whole family does. We usually order in but I planned for us to go to a local pizzeria and just enjoy a pie alone. No cutting up slices for kids. Just us, eating pizza. Beer for him, wine for me and that is good enough. We make pizza at home so we can easily turn this into a fun couples pizza making night but if a pizzeria offered this as a date, that would be the bomb!
A few years ago, the hubs and I went indoor rock climbing. We had a blast. The workout is intense and having to trust one another to hold the ropes made us bond. Go rock climbing or do something else physical with your guy. Rock climbing not for you? Go for a hike, sign up for a fun run or book a few tennis lessons. Work up a sweat and enjoy it.
Head to your local arcade and gaming center. Challenge each other at a basketball shootout. Play driving games or even a few rounds of bowling. Just have fun.
One of our local museums host evening drinks and appetizers a long with a live band and dancing. The cost? Nothing more than museum entry and a few extra dollars. Since we are members, we go for free. Check your local museum for free events that you can enjoy as a date night.
Sign up for a few lessons today or a one night class. I’m a huge fan of ballroom dancing so we actually have 2 classes scheduled for next month. My flats will surely come in handy after that class.
How do you do date night? What are your date night essentials and favorite date night activities?